Can dogs eat broccoli, or does this delicious vegetable that’s low in calories and high in fiber give your dog an upset stomach and lots of extra gas instead? Any time you choose to give your dog any of the healthy food you eat, it’s best to understand the pros and cons as well as the best ways to serve super foods like broccoli to your dog so you don’t cause more harm than good to your dog.
This news brief gives you the facts you need to know about broccoli for your dog so you can keep your dog healthy.
Can Dogs Eat Broccoli? 5 Benefits for Your Dog’s Health
- Fiber – Broccoli is a great source of fiber and helps with your dog’s digestion.
- Anti-inflammatory – Anti-oxidants in broccoli help repair damaged cells in your dog’s body.
- Anti-Cancer – Phytochemicals in broccoli act as a cancer fighter in your dog’s body.
- Detoxification – Sulforaphane in broccoli helps clean out toxins in your dog’s body.
- Vitamins – Broccoli contains vitamin A, C, manganese and folate.
Important Warning about Broccoli for Your Dog
- Isothiocyanate – This ingredient found in the broccoli head may cause gastric problems for your dog. For this reason, Dog Health News suggests that you avoid feeding broccoli heads to your dog. This will help prevent your dog from stomach pain and gas.
- Diarrhea – Even a small amount of broccoli may have an adverse effect on your dog’s digestion. To answer the question, “Can dogs eat broccoli?”, you should watch out for loose stools after you feed your dog a piece of broccoli to make it’s a good healthy treat with no reactions that will harm your dog.
How to Feed Broccoli to Your Dog
- Amount – Only feed one or two pieces of broccoli to your dog. The amount of broccoli that you add to your dog’s diet should be under 5% of your dog’s daily meal. If you have a small dog under 20 pounds, you may want to limit your dog’s amount to 1 or 2 pieces per week. Use broccoli as a healthy snack for your dog in small quantities.
- Cooked Broccoli Stems – Can dogs eat broccoli? You can wash your fresh broccoli and steam the stems in water for about 6-8 minutes. Cool off the broccoli or refrigerate before you give your dog a small piece with his meal or as a treat. Never add salt or spices when you feed your dog broccoli.
- Puree – You may want to put your cooked broccoli in a food processor and make a puree that you can add to your dog’s food. A puree will be easier for your dog to digest.
Note: Always check with your veterinarian when you add human food to your dog’s diet to be sure that your dog won’t have any negative side effects.
This news brief gives you the benefits of broccoli for your dog and also provides you with the safest ways to feed broccoli to your dog for the best health results.
Share this article about broccoli for dogs with your family and friends so they have all the information they need to feed their dog a healthy portion of this vegetable. You can always depend on the best dog health strategies from Dog Health News.
You can also listen to our new Dog Health News podcast series, Sit.Stay.Listen. on iTunes for interviews about dog health and much more.
SPECIAL BONUS — If you would like breaking news on how to NOT overpay for your dog’s healthcare costs and reduce the number of times your dog gets sick, then claim your FREE ACCESS to the “How to Control Your Dog’s Healthcare Costs” video news . Go HERE to get it FREE.