Dog health awareness at dog shows is not just the joy you get when you look at your pretty dog’s face and your dog’s well managed fur, surprisingly there’s many other subtle benefits from dog shows if you manage to get behind the scenes like we did when Dog Health News heard from a loyal fan and dog owner in Greece who shows his dog, Pery, to find out hidden plusses for dog owners and dog lovers when they participate in dog shows.
This news brief gives you 5 little known secrets about dog showing so you can see the extra advantages of dog shows for dogs and dog owners.
Dog Health: 5 Secret Benefits of Dog Shows
- Community – What better way to feel like a part of the dog world than to be in a dog club that shows dogs. Andreas, from Greece, felt that he wanted to add his dog, Pery, to the group of dogs in his community to add to the number of dogs competing. Ironically, the community within the dog world is even stronger in times of trouble, which may explain why people gather with their dogs to find support. Greece has been struggling with many challenges and the positive energy that is felt at the dog shows in Greece keeps the people happy and promotes dog health.
- Breed Awareness – Who would ever know about the Bergamasco breed with matted fur that protects this dog from bad weather and predators that may attack his flock of sheep if it wasn’t for dog shows that featured this rare breed? And what about the graceful Saluki that looks like a silky haired Golden Retriever and Greyhound mix? Not to mention the adorable Puli with a corded coat that takes hours to dry. You’d never know about these breeds if it wasn’t for dog shows.
- Dog Health – Andreas takes exceptional care of his Greek Shepherd Dog because he feeds Pery healthy dog food, keeps him clean with regular washes, and brushes his coat often. Dog shows definitely result in more attention to dog health and dog welfare. You can be sure that Pery gets extra attention and care from his owner, Andreas, and all of his fans in his dog club during and after all his dog shows.
- Temperament – The importance of good behavior at dog shows by all of the dogs who compete sets up a commendable example to follow for other dogs. Socialization skills are critical for your to be able to participate in dog shows. This is another reason why dog owners enjoy the camaraderie of dog shows because you are amongst a group of like minded dog lovers who appreciate all dog breeds and want to promote the best dog health behavior.
- Rescue – Many dog owners who show dogs, like Andreas, also help rescue dogs in their community. Andreas told me about a litter of stray puppies in Greece that needed to be rescued and adopted. Although many people want to adopt these rescue dogs, they often are struggling to feed themselves, let alone have enough money to care for a dog. Breed clubs are also dedicated to the rescue of dogs of their breed and provide help with re-homing dogs.
Procedure to Show Your Dog in the Ring
- Line up – Once you and your dog are into the ring, you’ll be asked to move around counterclockwise with your dog on your left at a pace that shows off your dog’s movement. This gives you a chance to make sure your dog is looking perfect before your dog is examined. Judges pay attention to all aspects of dog health in dog shows so they want to make sure that your dog doesn’t have health issues like a limp or poor posture.
- Examination – You’ll step up to the judge when called and “stack” your dog in a standing position. The judge will go over your dog and check for breed standards ending with your dog’s mouth and teeth. The judge will then ask you to move your dog down and back or ask for additional moves like an “L” or a Triangle.
- Placement – The judge will then choose his favorites and start asking you to line up in order until he selects the winner.
- Winners and Best in Show – After the winners are selected in the breed competition, the same process is done to select the Best in Show. The dog that wins this esteemed prize is a picture of prime dog health and good behavior.
This news brief gives you information about dog shows and why dog owners like Andreas from Greece enjoy showing their dogs. Pery, pictured in this article has won many awards and always feels like a winner. Andreas is very proud of his dog and will continue to enroll him in the dog shows in Greece. As you can see, there is a great amount of love and compassion for dogs in Greece based on this story of Andreas and Pery.
Thank you again to Andreas for all the photos and information related to the dog shows in Kalamata, Greece. Special appreciation goes to Pery for all the hard work he does that makes him a beautiful award winning show dog.
Share this article with your friends and family so they can learn more about the benefits of dog shows and how they have a positive effect on dog health.